Over the course of the last few weeks I have been working on a professional learning (PL) plan for Lamar University faculty that will further my innovation plan of bringing mobile learning into our courses. First I had to take a look at how we currently do professional development and see what the research had to say about it’s effectiveness. I then created a presentation, Breaking the Cycle: Transforming Professional Development, that summarized why we should and how we can transform professional learning to increase teacher effectiveness and student achievement using Gulamhussein’s 5 Principles of Effective PD. Next, I created an outline for my mobile learning PL. Although my outline included too many ideas and not enough details, it did ultimately help me formulate the final plan below.
Professional Learning Plan: Mobile Learning PL Sessions
Audience & Leadership
My professional learning plan was developed for the faculty at Lamar University so that they have the opportunity to participate in quality, effective professional development that positively impacts their professional growth as well as student achievement. I intend to lead the sessions with the help of my colleagues and the approval of the administration in my department.
Goals & Outcomes
The goal for these professional learning (PL) sessions is for all participants to gain the necessary knowledge and skills to begin to integrate mobile learning in their courses using mobile apps for collaboration and other learning activities. My Big Hairy Audacious Goal (BHAG) is that at least 10 faculty members will adopt mobile learning practices and design and implement collaborative activities using mobile applications in their courses.
The PL sessions will be structured in a blended learning format that will begin Spring 2017 and span over a 5-month period, February – June 2017. Participants will complete 5 modules, one per month, in the Fundamentals of Mobile Learning in Education professional learning course for the online portion. In addition, there will be 1 face-to-face session per month where the participants will meet in the Digital Learning Center Lab for 45-60 minutes.
Monthly Sessions: Proposed Schedule
- February session:
- Wednesday, February 15, 2017
- March session:
- Wednesday, March 22, 2017
- April session:
- Wednesday, April 19, 2017
- May session:
- Wednesday, May 17, 2017
- June session:
- Wednesday, June 14, 2017
*All session times at 3PM, DLC room 125, Lab
The participants will provide peer support and coaching through online discussion boards in the Mobile Learning course hosted in the CourseSites LMS and during the monthly sessions. I will be instructing the online course and leading the face-to-face sessions therefore I will also participate in the discussions, evaluate assessments and provide feedback and support to all of the participants.
Active Learning & Modelling
- The professional learning course includes authentic activities in each module that the participants can create and use in their own live courses.
- The participants will collaborate and share their experiences (failures & successes) in the discussion boards.
- Monthly sessions
- The participants will get hands-on demonstrations of mobile learning apps from experts.
- Peer presentations/showcase and practice implementation strategies.
- The participants will collaborate and share their experiences.
Participants will collaborate and share using a OneNote digital notebook created specifically for the mobile learning PL sessions. All participants will be “invited” to collaborate in the digital notebook.
- CourseSites Enrollment Request Instructions
- CourseSites Help, Resources and FAQ
- Fundamentals of Mobile Learning in Education – URL to PL course home page
- Get Access to Lynda.com – Lynda.com log in info for faculty
- Office 365: OneNote Essential Training – URL to Lynda.com course home page
- OneNote Training
- OneNote Help